Having elected to take forward all the recommendations from Dame Judith Hackitt’s Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety, MHCLG has now begun consulting on the nature of the reforms rising from these recommendations.
The proposals being consulted on cover:
- the scope of the new regime
- the concept of dutyholders who have clear responsibilities throughout a building’s design, construction and occupation
- giving residents a stronger voice in the system and ensuring their concerns are never ignored
- plans for a new building safety regulator to provide oversight of the new building safety regulatory regime
- strengthened enforcement and sanctions to deter non-compliance with the new regime.
Furthermore, the Home Office has issued a call for evidence on the Fire Safety Order 2005, seeking views from the fire safety sector on the current effectiveness and application of this Act.
As a member of CABE is it important that you read this consultation and share your opinions. CABE will be responding to the consultation and we will be issuing a survey shortly that will allow you the opportunity to inform this response, we have a chance to make the industry safer so please use this opportunity to get your views heard.
The consultation closes on 31 July 2019 at 11.45PM.